View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
It's pure speculation that the public might rise up to protect modern buildings like we protected older buildings in the 60s, 70s, etc. It's not looking likely so far...there's no indication of any popular outpouring even on a moderate scale....
Except that... it's already happening. There's been a big fuss over Goldberg's Prentice Hospital. There was a big fuss over Robin Hood Gardens. Architects and preservationists were mobilized to protect them. People were commenting that if the buildings were renovated they'd love to live there. Even nearby me, in a suburb of Detroit a small library designed by Marcel Breuer was going to be demolished until their inboxes got flooded.

I know in your circles styrofoam faux historic schools and strip malls are all the rage, and that might be the majority, but there's a substantial group of people, in different circles, who are aware of design and are in the market for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
We protected older buildings in the 60s and 70s??

The 60s and 70s were the worst decades for razing older buildings in favour of concrete bunkers.. At least in my city it was.
Along with the 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s.........