View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 7:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
A new entry in the ongoing investigations of what a Canadian accent is:

Video Link

I saw this somewhere a few days ago and totally assumed it was American, but then saw a news story about this indicating that he lives in St. Thomas Ontario, and I thought: wow, are things changing? Do people there really sound like that?

Because both he and the manager he calls, presumably also in St. Thomas (though she could be in London) sound almost exactly like "neutral-sounding" Americans (aka Ohio, maybe the mountain states, though definitely not Michigan or Chicago).

At 1:46 he says "it's just so nice out" exactly like an American, no Canadian raising-style "oat in a boat" about it at all. You will not hear anyone in Toronto sounding like this, and Hamilton and points southwest might be closer to it, but we still do the hoserific "oat in a boat" thing.

But this guy is completely bereft of what we normally think of as a Canadian accent. He actually sounds almost exactly like my sister's husband, who grew up in non-redneck Florida.

This is amazing to me. I've never heard anyone in Ontario speak like him ever, not even in Chatham or Windsor (much less the rest of Canada, especially the west). I wonder if he's representative of that area, or is he an anomaly? He's really laying on the "whiny Millennial" act pretty thick, so maybe that explains it?

I'm confounded.
I dunno. These things are often both subtle and variable.

He didn't say much that would lead me to believe that he couldn't be Canadian.