View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
I am way confused at something. What and where exactly is Arden-Arcade?
I am reading what I can, but I guess I never realized it is being considered not Sacramento?!

Edit: OK, I read the Wikipedia on this Arden-Arcade (CDP). I never knew, I always assumed that was all Sacramento city.
That's why this whole incorporation effort is stupid IMHO! My grandparents moved to "Arden-Arcade" in 1950 from midtown. My grandfather told me that the "old-guard" in Sacramento felt that the natural northern boundry for Sacramento was the American river. Development happed out there anyway, largely to the job base at McClellan. There were several efforts to annex the area to Sacramento, all of them failed. The last effort was in 1960. Most of the old-timer anti-city people have passed on. The incorporation effort is by a few people looking for local control. they failed or refused to consider the option of annexing to Sacramento.

I am convinced that the incorporation will fail for the following reasons:

1..Unlike, Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, Rancho Cordova, Carmichael, Fair Oaks and North Highlands...Arden-Arcade has no civic identity.

2. Many people living in Arden-Arcade are unaware that they are not really part of Sacramento even though they have a Sacramento address.

3. The area is divided. Many people are questioning cityhood and suggesting that annexation to Sacramento is a better solution.

4. Sacramento is finally looking at annexation of unincorporated areas like Fruitiridge-South Sacramento, Rosemont and Arden-Arcade.

I personally feel that the county should not be in the municipal service business. Either there should be wide spread city/county consolidation (failed in 1974 and 1990) or complete annexation to cities.