View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 12:16 AM

Absolutely love it, and definitely prefer it over the original design. With the drastic change in design midway through, my instant thought was a vertical Monadnock. (It's also a bit reminiscent of the Hearst Tower in NYC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280
The contrast would be jarring, perhaps even upsetting to the eye, but would show exactly the history of the building.....In any case this building may turn out to be the ultimate tribute to the history of skyscrapers and Chicago by forever cementing a reminder of the boom-bust nature of real estate into our skyline.
Agreed on every point. Like seeing misshapen rings on a tree trunk, one could similarly see the effects of a given economic climate at a specific point in time in Chicago's history.

Is there any chance that the deck created by the cantilever would be developed into something open to the public, like a restaurant/rooftop bar/event space? If developed right, it could be KILLER, and reinforce the iconic/destination status of the building. Otherwise, if it is just open to the few hundred building dwellers, I'd never get to check it out for myself!!