View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 5:51 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Well I might be a little agro since I'm going through nicotine withdrawals...but in my mind 'rednecks' can't be equated homosexuals. To me ‘rednecks’ come in all races, economic and educational levels. To me ‘redneck’ is an unsophisticated worldview and not somebody’s innate nature which they have no control over. If I offended you travis bickle I'm sorry. That was not my intent. That's all I'm going to say.
Sounds like your confused about what the term redneck means: red·neck (rěd'něk') n. Offensive Slang

1) Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.
2) A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved., © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Am I the only one who thinks moving the historic depot is a colossal waste of money and time? Couldn’t the money that we would spend moving the old depot be better spent on making the new terminal really a showpiece so when people arrive the say “wow, this is Sacramento”? Some people have got it stuck in their heads that the old depot and the realigned tracks must stay together. I don’t get it.

Despite councilmember Lauren Hammond’s guarantees that it (the old depot) couldn’t be adapted to other uses I think it could be reused for other purposes -like a museum, City College, a lobby for a new hotel, etc. SOD is only considering the building itself – but what about it’s relationship with old Express Building and surrounding city? Isn’t taking the old depot out of it’s historical context more egregious than using it for purposes other than transit? Plus we will just be creating another empty lot downtown -which would most likely be turned into a huge parking lot until some developer decides to build something there.

I’m also not sure why they are talking about building a temporary facility. Why waste the money build an interim station? Can't the new station be built simultaneous with the track relocation?
I agree, moving the historic depot is a colossal waste of money and time.
There are other uses for it that can preserve the essence of the building
and still make it functional.