View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 11:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV_325i View Post
This sort of begs a question for me though: if the main function of this space is a park, and one of the purposes of which for some people is to get away from "it all" and have some peace and solitude, will this be a desireable place to stroll around in? It certainly would be for me, but maybe not to the majority.
The transformation of this elevated line into a park has made the area that surrounds it the hottest area for development in the city.

Quote:
There are now more than 40 projects going up around the elevated railway, and the area is quickly becoming known in architectural circles as a global hotspot for new and interesting buildings.
I don't think the idea is just to "get away from it all", but it will be an elevated, limited access direct link to Hudson River Park with a variety of activities around it. As an added bonus, it just so happens that the terminus will be in Manhattan's future Hudson Yards development. The first segment is scheduled to open sometime this year, and I can't wait.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.