View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 9:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
I think people are being deliberately obtuse in characterising what is actually happening and what people actually have a problem with. In both the Kent Hehr case and the Patrick Brown case, we are talking about individuals in a position of authority preying on individuals who work for them. That is inappropriate workplace conduct, and in both cases the circumstances of the events seem to clearly indicate impropriety with respect to their positions.

No one is talking about guys using pick up lines at a bar and getting shot down. No one is talking about "the chase" of girls playing hard to get and guys being immediately guilty of sexual harassment "playing the game".

As far as a widespread chilling effect - GOOD. Look at what is happening and what has happened. A widespread chilling effect cannot be characterised as anything other than a positive. Things have been so out of balance for so long, people are equating having a widespread chilling effect as being the apocalypse, but that's just a sign of how people got comfortable with the status quo.

Again, I expect there to be quite a few bumps along the way. Progress towards justice and a more civil fair society is never a straight line linear path with no problems along the way. Are some careers and lives going to be ruined along the way, perhaps unjustly? Undoubtedly. But the pendulum is swinging the other way and on balance this is generally a good thing for society and for us to progress towards a better future.

We need to have this conversation. We all need to take it more seriously. And the responses littered in this very thread mocking the "me too" movement and inventing theoretical reasons for why it is a negative thing on society are telling of just how far we have to go to move towards that ideal. Just take a look at some of the responses in this thread, which "me too" detractors seem to be wilfully ignoring or tacitly accepting as status quo "the way society works".
ab-so-lute-ly!