View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 9:17 PM
Desert Dweller

The bulkiness is just too much for me with this building. I read somewhere that this building was designed to be dull on purpose so it wouldn't become a terrorist target, so I guess I understand why it looks the way it does. From most angles the building appears very sharp and modern (Looks absolutely beautiful from Ground Zero). However when viewed from Jersey, I almost prefer the skyline without it. It's a tad overweight. I have nothing against bulky buildings, Chase Manhattan and One New York Plaza look fantastic in the Lower Manhattan skyline, but Goldman Sachs just comes off a little awkward in my opinion. The height is one factor, had it been a tad taller it wouldn't come off so bulky. It's so close in height with 3 WFC and 7WTC that it makes the whole trio look stubby, especially 3WFC. The facade also doesn't really help, it looks awfully cheap doesn't it? Imagine it clad in all glass like 4WTC, I'm sure the building would have blended in much more gracefully into the skyline.

I'm not sure if they are still planning to tear down the adjacent Embassy Suites Hotel, but if they do, I hope they build a tower that blocks most of Goldman Sachs from the west.

And seriously, what's with all the lights at night? It still looks like it's under construction!

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Patrick; Mar 1, 2012 at 9:33 PM.