View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
why? a parking spot is a parking spot, regardless of who's parking there.

besides, with the number of people who would be taking a taxi to their hotel from o'hare, a downtown hotel should actually provide even less parking per unit than a residential building.
Seriously? Are you saying that the seven eleven at the corner should have the same amount of parking as my house because the lot sizes are the same. Or the number of units is the same. If there are going to be a lot of parking spaces I rather have it be in a building that was going to have a lot of turnover and have commercial uses, a hotel, a bar, a restaurant. Now we have a giant apartment building with a huge parking base whose only driver of traffic is the people who live there, who will probably only use about 45 percent of the spaces. It will become a haven for office workers in nearby buildings. Yes it is true that hotels have less of a requirement for parking but I don't like residential units that have a lot of commercially available parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
So... the previous design gets a pass for an even worse parking ratio because it was taller?
Yes it does. At least I could look at it and say it was tall. Now I have to look at this and see a short tower with the same parking ratio. You guys are acting like the parking ratio has improved tremendously. Its an 8 percent decrease. Am I supposed be doing flips in the street because it dropped 8 percent. So what am I supposed to hang my hat on: its not tall, its not particularly attractive, it has horrendous parking ratio. Where is the good. At least Waterview was tall. Now I have nothing. Now all I am supposed to say as I give a tour of the loop is, you see this building, it doesn't block the view between Sears and Hancock. As we sat on this hulking mess for the past years there was always the hope that something great would be built there. There was always the remote chance a miracle would happen and we would get something great. Now that hope is over.

Let me say, I understand why. Having such a large number of parking spaces to market will only make this property more profitable. I understand the downgraded height. I understand the change from the cantilever. I understand. It does not mean that I have to like it.

Am I supposed to be happy because it is only 439 parking spaces right on Wacker as opposed to 1285 at the end of a cul de sac. No, they both suck.

Last edited by Standpoor; Jun 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM. Reason: added the bit about wolf point