View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
No one thought they would win in 2011 or 2007, either. The PCs just keep running really bad campaigns. Saying you're going to fix unemployment by laying off 100,000 people and complaining that the government cancelled gas plants when your own party just months before demanded that they do so isn't a very effective method of securing victory. Before that you had their hypocrisy over the HST (a PC position until McGuinty implemented it) and John Tory's pandering toward minority religions by saying he would fund schools that taught their religion.

In Northern Ontario, it didn't help that half of their candidates sympathized with neo-nazism and the other half were living in Southern Ontario at the time. In my riding they ran a university professor who was the highest paid civil servant in the city for over a decade, and the only other thing he was known for was being afraid of Wifi. I honestly don't think the PCs even want to win in the north. The neo-nazi woman they ran in 2014 was literally chosen by the president of that riding association calling her while she was about to take a shower, and she said yes because "it sounded fun". If the party's slate of candidates next time is going to include land rights wingnuts, neo-nazis and 20 year old homophobes I don't see them winning in 2018 either.
I have to agree with everything. The PCs certainly did have very poor and laughable campaigns. Many voters can't figure out where the PCs stand on many issues and it continues to this day.

I also find that the PCs have had many bizarre candidates and some real wingnuts for sure including some who are current MPPs. Their solution for every issue in Northern Ontario is that they will offer tax breaks or incentives for business and industry. Nobody here buys that. The party seems so out of touch with resources industries and those who work in them.