View Single Post
Old Posted May 11, 2012, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
http://www.emporis.com/building/migl...chicago-il-usa

Its little brother in the Loop is one of my favorite buildings in Chicago. Such a pity the Skyneedle was never built. It screams Chicago; much moreso than the Spire ever did.
I used to really like the Miglin Beitler, but now I think that the setbacks are a little sloppy. But other than that it was quite incredible. If we do ever get a supertall, I hope that it isn't in the loop; it would add a lot more to the skyline if it is to the north or south of there. In the loop might just make the skyline look cluttered.

I also think that this sort of design would be awful for this location - its far to reminiscent of the past and far too boxy. Lately, Pelli has been far less postmodern in his approach to design and I think that, in this location, something stunningly modern would be worthwhile. Something like his Transbay Tower concept or this would be perfect - glassy and modern and hopefully mimicking the curvature of the river. Look at the entrance and staircase to the second one; talk about visual interest at the pedestrian level. If the riverwalk on this complex feels like that with shard of glass poking out, I'd be happy.

As a side note, I've always thought that Wolf Point was a far more fitting location for the Spire than the location of the current spire hole. The setback from the lake would have made the skyline appearance of the Spire less extreme and the shape so perfectly responds to the shape of the lot. The only problem is that it wouldn't cover the apparel mart...
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton