View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
I'm likely moving to Ottawa in May with the girlfriend and we need a place to rent for the summer (until the end of August). We don't know the neighbourhoods or city that well, although I've been there twice. We need to be as inexpensive as possible and not too far from Confederation Heights where she'll be working. I don't have a job yet but I assume I'll end up downtown (or what other major employment centres are there?).

Ideally I'd like to be able to walk to grocery stores, restaurants, bars, and cafes. It'd be nice to be able to walk to work too although I'll have my car and I'll probably invest in a bike. I guess that's another thing, I'll need a place to park my car for free so keep that in mind when recommending neighbourhoods.

So: what neighbourhoods are cheap but well located between downtown and Confederation Heights with all the ammenities?

How good is the transit?
For the May to August period your best bet will be a summer sublet from a student at U of O or Carleton. There will probably be many to choose from and therefore have negotiation power etc...

Most landlords in Ottawa want 12 month leases with is a problem for you and a problem for many students. Thus the sublet idea.

Confederation Heights is along a few major transit lines as it is one of the bigger federal employment areas. It is decently easy to get to so that will help widen your search box.

Confederation heights is also not too far from Carleton U so some of the student areas would not be too far away. There may also be some options in the apartment buildings along Riverside Drive (which have the transitway at their door)

Transit quality depends largely on where you are and where you are going. Some areas (such as along the transitway or major routes) it is exceptionally good. Other parts of the city (like industrial parks) it terrible and there is areas where is good but not exceptional. It is mostly a bus-based system with a BRT and one small train route. As for employment areas, there are a number outside of downtown - including some that are far out in the suburbs. It depends on among other things what type of work you are doing.