View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST View Post
If they spent the whole $850,000 just on those light fixtures, that is a cost of about $360 for each! If they truly get that kind of savings from Rocky Mountain, then it would take over 12 years to just recoup the cost of the fixtures! That sounds like a lousy investment to me.
But your analysis is wrong.

First, let's assume you are right and they are $360 each. That is starting from a base of $0. We don't know how much it would cost to replace the bulb with the current standard, but my guess would be it is greater than $0. Thus, while it may take 12 years to pay for themselves...that is back to $0, they will pay for the additional cost over the regular standard quicker.

Second, LEDs, as s.p. mentioned, last much longer than a typical lamp. Thus you have to calculate the cost of the lamp and replacing it not only just once, but many times.

Finally, as mentioned, the lifespan of the LEDs usually will last around 12 years before the reduction in their brightness is 70% of their original brightness. Thus even IF they only last exactly 12 years, they have paid for themselves entirely, thus making the purchase FREE, plus we get the lighting of our streets.

If you ask me, that sounds like a pretty sound investment.