View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I don't know about that - there are fewer Canadian emigrants leaving for the States than in the past, but it's pretty common for anyone of immigrant background to have relatives who went to other countries - most commonly the US. It seems like most people I know have family in some combination of the US, Australia, and/or the UK (aside from the "old country" of course).

Now, how long those connections will last is another matter (like in my case, we've lost touch with my relatives who went to Argentina 50 years ago by this point, but still see our American cousins once or twice a year) - but as long as there remains a steady stream of immigration to both countries, I think it's likely for this occurrence to continue.
I know where you're coming from, and appreciate your opinion, but I was thinking more of old stock native born Canadians rather than the mushrooming international diaspora.

Amongst Quebecers and Maritimers, almost every family had multiple siblings and cousins who immigrated to Lowell or Rumford for mill jobs during the first half of the last century. There were more family connections to Massachusetts than to Ontario or Alberta. My own mother was born in Rumford ME (my grandfather had moved down to work in the mill).

This sort of stuff doesn't happen any more. Most of the surviving economic migrants are in their 80s or 90s. The cousins no longer keep in touch. The new generation moves to central or western Canada for work, not to New England.