View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 1:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
What a silly argument.

1. In my opinion, trying to be tolerant is far better than being xenophobic, nationalistic, and exclusionary like many other places in the world, including some parts of Canada.

2. It's utterly outrageous to suggest that a woman wearing a burqa in hot weather does not actually want to wear a burqa. Yes, a burqa in hot weather might be uncomfortable. However, people forego comforts all the time if they believe in some higher ideals. It is conceivable that the woman feels her relationship to her God and her devotion to lead a modest life outweighs the temporary discomforts attendant to wearing lots of clothing in hot weather.

Hell, there are times when I would feel more comfortable in hot weather without wearing a shirt, but I nevertheless wear a shirt because I feel kind of odd walking around shirtless in public unless I am at an area where it is very common to do so (like a beach or a swimming pool).

I don't like burqas and I don't like religions, but it is bizarre to conclude that a woman wearing a burqa in hot weather is doing it against her will.
It was just one example. Educated, well-informed Muslim women who feel totally free to speak their minds on any subject seem to overwhelmingly agree with me, so I don't see why I would have any reason not to believe them.

Anyway, it's a bit disturbing to see liberal thinkers constantly and automatically leap to the defence of obviously illiberal covenants, seemingly in a desire to prove their liberalism.

And I say this as a liberal, lefty social-democrat.