View Single Post
Old Posted May 8, 2009, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
That's funny. I have a sixth sense also. Actually it is more like a 7th sense. My sixth sense is.....well....that's top secret. My 7th sense is the ability to sense large objects that are built from the ground up in the S.A. metro area. I know that sounds odd but it's true. Right now I am sensing that there will be 3 new high rises in the S.A. metro area by the year 2029. These buildings will have doors and windows and oh ya, they will be taller than trees. I am soo excited!!!
Please promise us that you will not post without having first taken your lithium.

I do not concur about a significant construction of skyscrapers (or the construction of a significant skyscraper) in SA. First, the way that tall, dense downtowns develop is through high-priced land. You see, if, let's say the hypothetical ABX Corporation needs a 700,000 square foot building for its headquarters. If land values are relatively cheap, it is cheaper for them to build a large lowrise building. However, if the land values are expensive--in excess of a certain threshhold--it becomes cheaper to build up. That has been the situation in nearly every city that has a substantial collection of skyscrapers in their downtown areas. Downtown SA still has open areas, numerous "Allright Parking" lots and other open areas. It appears that with still relatively cheap land, there is (at least) not yet the demand for the high rises that grace many large cities in the US and elsewhere. Throw in a weak economy and it seems highly unlikely that SA will have anything over 350 feet in the next few years. Hope I'm wrong. SA is now too large of a city to have a miniature skyline. I just don't forsee this changing soon, though.