View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 6:40 PM

At one time in my life that this intersection was closed, I was advocating that a central pod be installed in the center of the intersection using a mono base plate and column with the pod being 40 to 50 feet in diameter with bridges built to join the four corners of the intersection. Each (of 4 )bridge end would be a tower structure with stairways around the outside and a elevator in the middle. Ventilating the structure would be by self-regulating windows the open and close based on weather conditions. Commercial kiosks rents would offset cost-to-build expense.

After seeing the Provencher Bridge Promenade erected and functioning, I sure a similar design could be used from the same center pod structure and each end bridge pod; perhaps with a umbrella type cladding over the top of the main pod for summer and a large Christmas Tree of lights of approximately 100 feet tall illuminating the intersection in the Winter season. Hell, pull out a napkin, I'll draw you one up over lunch. Get the Back Street Boys to play during lunch....!, when its built.

The other idea , was to construct a ramp starting from Fort St. and building a fly-over at the center blvd. to take bus traffic, up and North to Main St. or from McDermot "Station" center blvd. to a similar parallel fly-over to west bound Portage with a center blvd. "station" between Fort and Garry. Both Stations would be linked to P&M concourse. South bound Transit traffic would still right turn at Main and proceed South or return back West bound via Graham. Curb traffic would be maintained on Main or Portage with no up set to flow. Present bus traffic on Portage crosses 2 lanes of East bound in order to get around the corner to go North bound, which is a waste and slow as hell. Center transit unloading would be similar to the way the old street cars dropped passenger off. Which in my opinion, should have been maintained, and also leads us to the old Juba Plan of a mono-rail down the center blvds, of Portage and Main_ anyone want to have a go at that???

But, then again, maybe I'm just 'a hundred year old kid' that should just go and play with his cars and trucks in the dirt pile.....! Your turn children.....CLICK!