View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observatory View Post
As my handle suggests, I'm a huge proponent of a SF observatory. I've been to the top of the now extinct Carnelian Room and the former observatory on the top of the Embarcadero Center some years back. If SF had an observatory smack dab in the middle of the action downtown at the top of a bonafide supertall, I fully believe it would be a success. Of all the international cities, San Francisco has the most titillating views by far. Where there's the will, there's a way. Perhaps not now, but maybe in subsequent boom cycles...
Define "success". I don't doubt lots of people would trek up there to see the view, but do you mean to argue they could monetize its popularity to the point of paying for the costs of installing it and maintaining it with features that wouldn't adversely impact building tenants or owner liability? The closure of places like the Carnelian Room, a restaurant atop the Westin St. Francis Tower, the observation deck atop Embaracadero Center and so on argues otherwise. Those place were closed for a reason, almost certainly economic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don116 View Post
I just don't understand it when civilians echo the opinions of commercial developers who have an interest in making sure the top floors are reserved for condos/CEO's offices. If people don't advocate for public benefits...who will?
I suppose what I don't understand is why you think the likely popularity of such a feature matters at all to owners and developers. They are obligated in San Francisco to provide "public open space" and public art, but there is no requirement it be at the top of a structure and, in fact, there's a good argument to be made that open space at the base of a building, that doesn't require entering the structure or taking an elevator ride, is more usable by the general public, especially if it has abundant sunshine as the space at the base of, for example, the Salesforce Tower will. I suppose you could advocate to the Planning Commission that building top space be considered a plus when reviewing downtown towers but they've never so far taken that view and I don't think you'd carry the day. These days maintaining control over who comes and goes in these buildings for security's sake is a high priority, maybe second to economic considerations and I've no reason to think the Planning Dept.doesn't understand that as well.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Jan 17, 2017 at 8:06 AM.