View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Cooper is not a good example. I know you picked it because it and Delta County are far from Dallas and you wanted to use that to prove a point. But come on.... There is over 6,700,000 people in DFW, and there is only 5,000 in all of Delta County. UT-Austin has a dorm with more people living in it, than that country has people in total. lmao. And for it messing up the numbers.. 6,700,000 to 5,000. That isn't even a single percent. In fact that isn't even .1 of a percent of the DFW population. That is something like .07% of the DFW population!

I really wouldn't worry about Delta Country screwing up the statistics and numbers. And .07% sure as heck isn't a valid reason to throw out all the other places that are not served by mass transit. Here is an example of the difference. If you threw out all those with no access to transit, that would include me. I live 4 miles from the intersection of 6th and Congress in Downtown Austin. And yet I have no access to even a bus. It is a mile and half to the first bus stop. To me that is absolutely absurd! To be 4 miles for the center of downtown and still over a mile from a bus stop is just silly. So I should be counted in there, not omitted because in my neighborhood we are a bunch of stuck up rich snobs who would rather throw money down the drain fueling our gas guzzling SUVs than pay a small tax (Yikes!) to support Capital Metro. Oh, and not including those that don't have access to plublic transit would pretty much get rid of all of Round Rock and Williamson CO from Austin. That is 25% of the Austin metro population you just threw out. They should be included.

Firstly the Dallas-Fort Worth MSA has about 6.4 Million, the CSA has about 6.7 Million. Although I think it would be interesting if you also think Sherman and Dension should be included

So it isn't a good example because Delta County is in the DFW metro because it proves my point? You still haven't commented on whether or not Brazos Bend in Hood county should be included because people who live there could commute 34 miles into Fort Worth. So should Hood County be included in the DFW mass transit numbers? You don't like the Delta County example because it isn't just Delta County, but entire swaths of people who live in DFW who have absolutely zero access to public transit

McKinney -130,000
Wise County - 59,000
Parker County - 116,000
Rockwall County - 78,000

and that is just the beginning

The numbers would be more accurate to include the member cities of the transit authority when calculating them. Seriously, this is almost like including individuals under the age of 16 in driving statistics by saying X% of Americans drive even though Y% can't drive.

DART has about 2 million people in it's member cities, the T has about 1 million. If the T shut down then a huge percentage of DFW loses all access to public transit. Should Fort Worth still count with that many people left out?

Last edited by USMichael; Feb 21, 2012 at 2:17 AM.