View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:19 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
At a guess, Drum must have some non-conforming aspects. HRMbD has short approval windows for as of right development only, otherwise it is back to the long process.
I do not remember the specific rules that the Drum developer has a problem with, but it was something to do with open space requirements. The redevelopment of the empty lot on Spring Garden Road where there was a fire a couple of years ago is being held up by the same requirement. My sense of the issue is that they are being asked to set aside a portion of the lot for greenspace when most developments in that area actually have almost 100% lot coverage. It makes no sense to require greenspace along Spring Garden Road or right next to the Public Gardens. I would argue that it is not really fair to require public greenspace from a private development, and private greenspace is really an issue that can be determined by the market.

My impression of HRM planning and regional council is, basically, that they never met a rule they didn't like. The response to every problem or "nice to have" brought up by the public seems to be to add more and more red tape. This probably happens because these policies have zero up-front cost. They may cause all sorts of problems down the road but when you're trying to push HRM by Design through right now the easiest path is just to say yes to as many people as possible, pushing the resolution of tough questions into the future when it will cost more money and cause more headaches.