View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:07 AM

But the thing is, commutes are not that long on average. This is only a very small number of people doing these extreme commutes.

Infact, the average person even in the largest metro areas only commutes something like 20-25min. That is hardly a hellish commute.

The pro-car people actually use those stats to show that cars have decreased the time people spend commuting.

We all know the average transit rider spends much more time to get to work, yet we don't complain about that.

People sit one hour in a car, or one hour in a bus. Its still one hour no matter what.

So overall, the commutes are not that bad for most people. And really if it is anyone putting up with ultra long commutes, its usually us transit riders.

Just me for example. Would take me 20-30min to drive to work. Takes me 45-60min via public transit. I still take the transit, but the point still is I along with thousands of others are taking just as much time to get to work as someone with an extreme commute.

Quote:
My friend and I were slogging down the 101 Freeway thru LA in 12-14 lanes of thick traffic on a Sunday night at 9 pm, and she turned to me and asked, "Do we really think we can keep all this going in 20 years?"
The sad thing though is that people will not switch untill transit actually speeds itself up. Even with the slogging traffic, it still beats taking transit when it comes to travel time.
I just got back from downtown with my parents. I could not get my dad to take the train down there today. And why? Because even in slogging traffic, the car was still faster then taking the train. And the commute back home was even faster. People will continue to sit in traffic untill the transit system actually can move faster then rush hour traffic. And sadly even in the most transit friendly cities, the transit often still can't beat someone driving in rush hour traffic.