View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 11:44 PM
Hindrance to Development

ozone: Yes, I'm talking about buses. Even with a streetcar system buses are an important part of the system in that they are flexible and have low startup costs. I grew up riding the bus (I didn't have a driver's license until I was 25) so I'm pretty accustomed to it as a way to get around. Although my workplace and my home are both within a couple blocks of light rail, so I use light rail as often as I take the bus.

But walking, at least in decent weather, is the most fun, and the best exercise. There's lots of neat stuff to look at, and plenty of good places to carbo-load or caffeinate on the way!

A streetcar through the northern part of midtown would be very nice indeed, but there are obstacles to overcome--namely, the Union Pacific tracks. The FRA frowns on track diamonds so a crossing at grade is probably out of the question, and a bridge raises other problems. But bus service through the northern part of midtown is all right, at least until evening. I'd like it if they ran all night, but that goes for all transit, and I'm sure you'd agree.

I don't personally feel the need to live in a high-rise. For me, it has more to do with my love of old buildings (and my desire to have a basement to put my model railroad in) than any antipathy towards high-rises in general.

What I'm asking is: what, to you, are the benefits of living in a high-rise condo that can't be obtained any other way? Why is it important to you personally? I recognize that some of those benefits may well be intangible, but I consider that a valid argument, and welcome your input on why it's just cool to live in a high-rise.