View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 5:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
By the way, I'm new to this thread. Haven't gone through it yet. I'll chip in with a couple of observations, which I'm sure have been covered before.

Seems like so many Canadians pronounce every syllable, particularly out west.

I hear people from the western provinces say "a-boat" more than the east. And I sometimes hear this from Ontarians SW of the GTA. While I often hear people from east of the GTA says "abouut", which is the best way I can describe it. So not stereotypically "aboot".

Also I'd like to say that Newfie accent is in my top 5 in the world with South African, Jamaican, Cockney and Irish. Could listen to it all day.
As a Prairie boy (Winnipeg), I have never heard anyone say a-boat, at least in my neck of the woods. The way most people say about, house, south, etc. Is similar to the way the Scottish/Irish/people in Eastern Canada say those words, generally anything with "ou" in it. This includes all my rellies in rural Manitoba with the typical heavy Ukrainian-Canadian farmer accent.

In terms of a-boot, I don't hear this in Canada, but I do hear it in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin, the supposedly Canadian-esque states.

Last edited by Pinus; Oct 8, 2018 at 8:20 PM.