View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I wish I could find a building of this calibur in NYC for that price for a 2 bedroom. If you got enough people moving from NYC (which there are) and/or SF who don't like the idea of downtown and getting paid pretty well, they'd totally pay these prices. This is comparable to a building I found in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, but 5-10 minute walk from any train station, for a 1 bedroom with an alcove.
So, @$3300 per month, the renter should be making at least $132,000 a year (the old rule of housing not being more than 30% of your monthly gross). My girlfriend and I make very nearly that much, and there's no way in hell we'd be spending $3300 per month in rent. That's 30% of gross and over half of net because lol taxes, deductions, etc. I personally don't believe that housing should be much more than 20% of gross. The 30% number is BS touted by developers and realtors who want people to buy/rent bigger so they get a better cut. The minimum I think that is responsible to spend that much on rent would be $200k annually.

-Hunter S. Thompson (click for full quote)