View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 11:07 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
Go tell that to people who live in $3 million dollar homes in South Scarborough.
Scarborough has many high profile people. One of the old CEO's of CIBC used to live in my subdivision. A neighbour down the street was a high up manager with IBM. And I live in a regular subdivision.
Yeah, but those neighborhoods are the exceptions to the rule. Overall, it's seen as a somewhat low-brow area of the GTA, as are parts of North York, Etobicoke, and even some areas in Mississauga, Brampton, and Oshawa. Downtown used to be low-brow, but it's far from that now.

But that's okay. As much as cities are all trying to attract the "creative class", most of the populace isn't creative class and doesn't care about that kind of stuff. Places like Scarborough are necessary, because normal working class people need to live somewhere too.

For what it's worth, if I were to get a job in downtown Toronto in the next year, I'd probably look at renting in Scarborough, somewhere near the end of the subway line, simply because it's more affordable. Although I'd probably look into Etobicoke or North York first.