View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespidel View Post
Just to confirm, Mayor Kelly just quoted that Halifax needs a 25,000 permanent seat stadium that Halifax doesn`t want to cut themselves short and needs to build it for the future and that it needs to be multi purpose facility and at a location where other commerical building projects can be added, to cover the overall cost, like two new arenas and other commerical projects!

Mayor Kelly knows what is going on and I have the most utmost respect for him!
These are the days I wish there was no council and just a mayor...

Quote:
Rick's Rants
[Professional Blog] Rick's Rants Wednesday August 3rd/2011
http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/Blog-Ar...August-3rd2011
Stadium stalemate!!

Let the games begin!! Only I wish we were talking about sporting games in a new multi-purpose sports stadium on the Shannon Park lands overlooking the harbour and Halifax's skyline. No, they're the games politicians play with the whiff of a pending election in the air. Common sense, what there is of it, goes out the window. This city needs a stadium. We are the only Canadian city of any significant size without one. It would open the doors to all kinds of possibilities including a shot at hosting a World Cup soccer match and provide local sports groups, especially football and soccer, with first rate facilities. And maybe one day, a CFL franchise. How much will it cost? What size should it be? Where should it be located? How much will be cost-shared? Is the private sector on board? These are the questions that need to be answered before deciding whether to proceed with a committment. It will cost $275,000 to answer these questions.
Memo to city council: Stop playing games, approve phase 2 and let's see if this thing is doable.
It's a good thing that Rick is putting the pressure on council with the media.

Quote:
Council debates stadium study
Councillors split on spending $275,000 on more research
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Wed, Aug 3 - 4:54 AM
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1256428.html

Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown), a member of the steering group, said by exploring the notion further council can make an informed decision later. And she raised the spectre of the 2012 municipal election in remarks directed at some colleagues.

"In 14 months there’s going to be an election, and everybody here is freaking out about it," said Sloane.

"And this is one reason why some of us are looking at this and maybe not voting to go to the second step. I think that’s the wrong way to go."
If Downtown Dawn reads this I wonder if she can point out to the other councilors that if they are freaking out over the election and smaller council than they should know that there is STRONG support for the stadium in all districts and it could be political suicide if they are opposing this stadium project.

We can either be a world class municipality or we can be left in the dark ages...

Last edited by q12; Aug 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM.