View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGFrisco View Post
I understand the census people's reasoning, I just disagree with using that as the way to consider whether an area is one metro area or not. People in Fort Worth don't have to commute into Dallas to be part of the DFW MSA. And in fact, using commuting to work as the primary way of figuring whether counties are part of the same metro area is pretty outdated, given the prevalance of secondary business centers and people working at home.
Don't know why DFW is used so often in these discussion with SA/Austin. People in DFW work all over the metro and its just not some big deal. I technically worked in the FW-Arlington MSA for a few years and it was like 15 minutes from my house in Dallas. When I worked in Farmers Branch, lots of people lived in places like Grapevine, Euless, Flower Mound. When I worked in McKinney, there were lots of people from Greenville, Sherman, Denton, Dallas. We share an airport, we have shared television and radio since the technologies began. The only way DFW could be closer is if Dallas and Fort Worth proper shared a border. Instead they are 10 minutes apart along 183. A lot of huge employers(larger employers than say downtown San Antonio and Austin combined) like DFW Airport, Las Colinas and Centreport along with Hays and Comal growing to about a million or 2 needs to happen. Those two metros are just not economically intertwined like DFW.