View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 2:07 AM

I'm with you, Scott.

Especially the Canary Island. They grow slowly (only about 1- 1 1/2 feet per year) compared to the more common Mexican Fan and Queen (which shoot up at 3-4 feet per year.

The Canary Island fell out of favor beginning around 1950 or so, as it needs plenty of room (one thing not many newer California lots have much of). But to see a 60 or 80 year old Canary Island is majestic. If the early photo at Mildred's is dated 1945, I suspect the palm was planted around 1925-1930.....probably about the time the house was built.

And those Italian Cypresses at the Gaylinda? They grow tall and narrow up to age 30 or so.......then they don't add much height but just get fatter as they age. (Don't we all? LOL LOL LOL LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
That's a classic (and historic) Canary palm. Someone should take a nice current picture of that house with the palm in all its glory. (hinthint sopas_ej)

Am I alone in my palm fetish here? (That's a rhetorical question – I know I'm not alone.) I love the pictures in this thread where you can see the juvenile palm and then the exact same tree 70 years later! I'm also fascinated how palms frequently seem to LONG outlive the structures around them. It's like people will go to great lengths to preserve a tree and yet care nothing about the building it once decorated. I'm not complaining, obviously – the palms are a precious legacy in their own right – but it is interesting to me how these trees have frequently gotten a fairer chance at survival than the buildings (or the people) around them.

-Scott

Last edited by malumot; Mar 29, 2011 at 2:23 AM.