View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
It seems like downtown is trying to grow faster than it actually is, and it is being restrained by its historic property parcel allocation. What I mean is that there are sometimes dozens of parcels on a single block and putting enough property together is a very steep challenge.

Atlanta for example, has been granted with larger parcels that have not been broken up as much as Mobile, and it has really facilitated rapid development.

Another related problem is the massive income received from parking income; I was reading that the old Cawthon Hotel site receives parking income of 80k a year. Thus understandably the owner will go to all lengths to not sell the property for development.

I dont necessarily agree with it ideologically but I concede that 10 folding the property tax on surface parking lots would force A LOT more development at a lot faster pace.

Anyone think Jones and the council would consider taxing the crap out of surface lot owners as a way to stimulate development? (not that I think it is right or anything but I wouldnt protest )
I am very ignorant when it comes to actual workings of development and things like this proposal. I am more of a pipedream person . That idea sounds fantastic and I would have never thought of that. I think the city could then take that money and turn it around for some parking decks(preferably like the new ones in Charleston that are hidden within the interior of a block with very discreet entrance/exits). Those service lots are really putting a halt to downtown development because alot of them are located right off the Dauphin corridor. They were fine when Dow started the string of pearls b/c they provided parking near the on redeveloped area. Now they are preventing the spread of development outside of that area.