View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post
Some observations, some negative, some positive:

Sacramento has expanded its “sophistication” and cultural offerings as many natives have grown-up wanting Sacramento to be more than it is, combined with the newbies from LA, the Bay and other larger cities with more culture and sports.

The last ten years brought more suburbanites escaping their east bay and south bay burbs and southern cal burbs for a place that offered less traffic, less people, and affordable housing and they want to keep it that way. These people were suburbanites where they came from and are adamant about keeping Sacramento from growing.

Good posts all around here.

I'm one of the "former" group. Originally from SF, now in Sac for some years. I'm always in Midtown/Downtown, it's nice to have seen the urban scene grow and become more sophisticated in recent years. I really hope the trend keeps growing as I think Sac has a real chance of becoming the next "hip" city akin to the ranks of Portland or Austin for young people to go to. We have the location, we have the reasonable cost of living, we have the weather, and we have a burgeoning urban scene going on, it just needs to be built upon.

I do feel in the Sac region a bit of a divide between the suburbanites and the city. In SF, people from all the surrounding cities and towns go into the city to party, to have fun. But something I've noticed is that many of the suburb dwellers in Sac are quite provincial and often have no clue about what's going down in Midtown, or they are disparaging when they talk about Downtown. It's quite frustrating because there really is a lot of good stuff happening and developing in Sacramento's central city, but it's not appreciated enough I feel.

I call this place home now. I spend a lot of money in local restaurants/bars and I definitely want to see Sacramento develop a higher profile and be recognized for it.