View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 5:56 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Well no its not because the government has an extremely high level of involvement in the economy, such as central planning, the one child policy, and a high degree of mercantilistic practices (state-run companies). I think what you are referring to is corruption or a lack of rule of law.
Ha ha ... okay , well I don't know if you've ever been here but if you want to run a side by side comparison of most Western populations versus the Chinese , you'll definitely find that there is a tremendous respect for rule of law . Enforcement is what I said and yes , corruption IS a big problem here . That has more to do with Chinese culture though because it's considered perfectly fine to gift jobs away to relatives and friends rather than the meritocracy the West has been abandoning for decades .

In any case , the Chinese simply aren't as high-strung about these things and at some point in the future it will be a problem for them . They'll discover why copyright infringement is a definite no-no and why it's worth clamping down on . In the meantime , as I said before , whatever the rules are supposed to be , in practice a market doesn't get much more free than this .