View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 3:26 AM

I was trying to push for this for years. This is a email I got back from the Horticulture Supervisor Public Gardens & Greenhouse Production back in 2012

"The Halifax Public Gardens is a National Historic Site with a statement of significance found at http://historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/...u.aspx?id=2633 and should be considered a garden first then a public park. Visitors value the wide selection of trees, shrubs and floral displays. The season has been extended until November 30 and opens the second week in April. This has added 4-5 weeks additional time that the Gardens are open to the public.
Many of the features of the Public Gardens noted in the statement of significance such as the gravel paths, well-maintained lawns and flower and shrubs beds close to the paths would require extra maintenance in the spring if they were plowed or salted. The paths are not well drained and are often ice covered in the winter.
The staff who maintain the Gardens in the summer are transferred to snow assignments during the winter and are responsible for road and side walk clearing.
I do see an opportunity if the weather cooperates to be open weather permitting and based on staff availability: Monday to Friday 8:00 am -2:00 pm during the winter. The washrooms and Horticultural Hall would be closed. Ice skating would need more investigation. Being open when the staff are available would not increase our operating budget. I have to balance budget constraints, protecting the Public Gardens for the future, public safety and public demands.
I hope this addresses your concerns and thank you for your ongoing interest in the Public Gardens"

And From Uncommon Ground "unfortunately, we were not made aware of this plan prior to today and we moved all of our equipment out for the winter. Even if we had known, it would have been very difficult as the building is not insulated at all and preventing the pipes from freezing is virtually impossible without changes to the infrastructure in place"

I do think the Public Gardens should be open much later into the evening through out the winter with access to skate on the pond