View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 11:40 AM
Man on a mission

Hotel planned on Harrisburg's Chestnut Street

Quote:
by JOHN LUCIEW, Of The Patriot-News Wednesday June 25, 2008, 5:21 PM
An area of Harrisburg that has already attracted international student housing and new restaurants could soon get a 41-room boutique hotel.

Mayor Stephen R. Reed and South Third Street Development Corp., an affiliate of Harristown Development Corp. that operates Strawberry Square, announced plans today to renovate and expand properties at 312-314 Chestnut St. into what would be called the Harrisburg Arts Hotel.

The proposed $9 million project would be the latest addition to the area known as SOMA, meaning south of Market Street. No construction timetable was given. Harrisburg has two other hotel projects waiting to begin construction along the 200 block of State Street.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...rrisburgs.html
I got up early to get you guys this one. In the print article they gave an update of the other 2 hotels proposed. The aloft is supposedly in process of finalizing contracts while the Barto Hotel, has just finished the engineering work. I assume now they need to find financing and a general contractor.

Maybe we'll see some construction on State Street by the end of the year. I don't know if we need 3 new hotels in Harrisburg, but I guess having 3 proposals means we should at least get one or 2. Pretty soon they will have to name it "Restruant and Hotel Row" This newest proposal sounds exciting because it would be the first higher end hotel in the region. It could add to the legitamacy of Harrisburg becoming the "small city" rather than a "large town"