View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Great project, great location, it's going to look quite impressive driving over the bridge.
With some design modifications, it surely will.

I wonder, though, about how the building itself will contribute to the surrounding neighbourhood, which is at present something of a dead zone for pedestrians - particularly along Drake between the Burrard and Granville. I'd like to see something in this proposal that livens up the community around it, and I'm not sure a large car dealership will accomplish this - even with the other amenities proposed. A grocery store, for instance, in addition to said car dealership, would provide an anchor destination that would benefit surrounding businesses by attracting additional customer traffic and pedestrian activity. It's also an amenity lacking in the immediate area, especially considering the residential density.

In an ideal world, in my opinion, the giant glass cube would be above a destination like a grocery store that attracts regular customer traffic. This way, the dealership would get its much-needed visibility without hampering the liveability of the surrounding neighbourhood - like, say, the south end of the Burrard street bridge.