View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassic Lab View Post

Personally my favoured alignment would involve deviations from Glenmore. Basically from MRU it would take Richard Road to Glenmore, transition to elevated track, take Glenmore to Crowchild, follow Crowchild south to a station in front of the retail centre. It would then continue south until the north edge of the Earl Grey Golf Course where it would turn east and then cross the reservoir for a station on the north portion of the hospital grounds. It would then veer northwest, cross Glenmore and 14 St and then continue east along the edge of Glenmore. There would likely be a station at Elbow or Chinook Mall (or both if Elbow should have a station for transfers to the #3 and Chinook requests one in exchange for the ROW). At Macleod it would veer northeast and then follow 65 Ave east until 1A St where it would veer northeast again (the properties would need to be expropriated) for a station over the current Chinook station. Those ~6 km would probably cost somewhere around 450 million 2012 dollars.

An eastward extension would take 62 Ave east, then Blackfoot north to a station at Blackfoot@58 Ave. It would then follow 58 Ave east, cross Deerfoot and the Bow River and end at Lynview Station. The junkyard along the west side of Deerfoot might be a good place for a storage/maintenance facility. If such a facility is required for the whole line it might make sense to include this extension with the initial segment (I would include a single track link between the WLRT and this line, and other lines it crosses, for the purposes of moving LRVs between lines as demand warrants so it might not be initially necessary).

For purposes of costing I am assuming 300 million/km for subway, 75 million/km for elevated, and 25+ (going a fair bit higher depending on the level of expropriation required) million/km for at grade track and station. LRV purchases and storage/maintenance facilities would be extra.
I never though of routing a line into Lakveview, across Earl Grey and over the reservoir to the Hospital. The golf course is on leased land, so aquisition would be more straightforward than expropriation, and the crossing there is about as small as it gets when considering the reservoir. You would get a lot of pushback from the North Glenmore Park residents that back onto the golf course if an LRT line was there instead, but I like the general route.