View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
Well the Bombers, at -$200 million in debt, are currently the most in-debt sports team in North America so I guess they have to do things like this to at least appear they're trying to pay it off. (Even though we all know they never, ever will)

I'm not too excited about this new team for a few reasons...

1) They'll be owned by the Bombers. Lets face it- the Blue haven't done much in the last 30 years on or OFF the field to make us proud here in Manitoba.
2) The games will be at IGF. Which means if you're not a season ticket holder you'll have to park 2 miles away from the stadium (if I'm mistaken on this point, please let me know... last I heard the campus parking is off-limits to non-season ticket holders for Bomber games)
3) Beers will likely be $8.00 - $10.00 apiece. For minor league soccer. And the other concessions will be equally ridiculously priced.
4) An empty upper bowl will give games a somewhat depressing atmosphere.

I may see a game to give it a shot but I don't see it working long-term. If the team was owned by True North & played in a more central location, I think they'd have a chance.
You have really bent over backwards for the most pessimistic take possible. I suppose that Manitoba could have taken the same approach that many other jurisdictions in North America have with new pro sports facilities and simply gifted IGF to the Bombers, and then the team wouldn't have had to deal with the apparent dishonour of carrying debt.