View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I totally agree. One of my friends last night stated that one thing San Fran has is a downtown that feels complete...the most of the old buildings seem to be preserved. Once most of the older buildings, especially Broadway have been renovated...DTLA along with the newer skyscrapers would take it to another level.
I'm afraid that I don't agree with the "cheesy" assessment made by Quixote.The renovation of Broadway is obviously slow and peicemeal, but each step, each building are taking in block by block. In my opinion any gentle touch of renovation is better than a slap of negligence. And God knows downtown Los Angeles has been slapped around for many years. Concerning the observation by Scandia, as a former intern with the San Francisco city Planning department (1979-1981), I can tell you that the city then as well as historically was very contentious about the preservation of history and the importance of design. These were things that historically were not cared about especially in DTLA. And now we are paying the piper so to speak. I believe that DTLA has some truly magnificent buildings, especially theaters which has San Francisco beat, but it will take time, patience and investment to restore them. This process would happen much faster if were not for the fact that the current billions being in vested in DTLA were not so dispersed.

Last edited by Wilcal; Jul 14, 2018 at 7:14 PM.