View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 10:55 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuglyface View Post
I have to clear some time and hang out there some day. I am at 766 just north of Ellice in an 1894 house. The scuttlebutt has been that there was nothing from here south to Portage for many years and this map sort of confirms that. The houses around here to the north are of the 1912 vintage. South are bungaloes added in later years with a few around now St Mathews seemingly in that 1912 era then mostly bungaloes the rest of the way to Portage. Still..seems strange that nothing got going to the south for some reason especially as it would have been closer to Portage Avenue.
The Motor Vehicle/Blind Institute stuff is indeed between Dominion and Sherburn. I believe a creamery had it's horse stables north of there if I recall my Dad's recollection. My Mum recollects how he would come home from work smelling of horse poop.
People weren't just building houses randomly. Developers had to register plans of subdivision with the City then just as they do now, and it is possible that the area to the south of you was a separate subdivision whose owner either didn't want to develop it or didn't market it as well as the developer of your area. However, it's more likely that the land was being used for some non-residential purpose that has since been forgotten. Or else maybe it was swampy land or something like that. Would be interesting to find out.