View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:22 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Thank you very much hkskyline! I have a good colombian friend who lives here in Québec City. He wants to convince me to visit Colombia but I'm too afraid for many reasons.
I have never travelled of my life outside of the western world. I know Colombia is beautiful and interesting but as a Canadian I am not confident to get there. It's easy to spot me as a tourist...and as someone that is coming from a ''Rich'' country, I believe I should take special cares to not show that I'm wearing ''expensive'' things, such as clothes or a watch etc... Is it that dangerous?

Just tell me what you think. Am I wrong? What special cares/measures should I take if I'm ever visiting ?

Thanks.
Well, all the news reports over the years had my skepticism alarm ringing when Colombia was brought up as a vacation destination. But with safety in numbers and extra vigilance, things were OK even though I carried my SLR around quite prominently. We avoided venturing out after dark, but it was fine in certain areas of the city where there were bustling restaurants and good food.

Medellin had a crazy history but things have been cleaned up tremendously. Locals are very friendly to tourists, who see them as a sign of the city's revitalization. They go out of their way to help you see what they have got.