View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 12:32 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Jesus Christ Richard Meier is beyond awful. He builds that same white and glass box over and over and over, what a hack. Here's our Meier abortion in Phoenix:

Its the Federal Courthouse. A giant glass box with no shade in a desert, brilliant job asshole. Not only that, the roof is open to dust storms, the mister system at one point was designed in such a way that it was carrying legionnaires disease, its a super block that cuts off Downtown from the State Capitol, just a total monstrosity.

Please don't take this as a knock on San Jose either, Ive never been there, Im sure its nice. In fact I feel a little more connected to SJ too knowing they have to suffer with a prominent civic building designed by one of the worst 'starchitects' out there.
That isnt that flattering of a photo of the Federal Courthouse, but reading up on the building, the idea of it is actually really impressive and a worthwhile attempt. Of course I cant say how well it has worked in the end, but this reminds me of a building in Germany I believe that is designed to basically have its own internal microclimate in order to better control the temperatures of the building in a more passive way, and the project in Germany was very successful, so I could see why Meier would want to try it here.

Plus there is also a theory that goes along with this building, that it is creating a visual transparency with the law...looking at photos of the building, I can definitely see that idea in it.

Also, I am really loving the castle looking city halls, some of them look funny, but if you are gonna be a small city might as well have an old outlandish city hall.