View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2003, 5:20 AM

An article in Tuesday's Journal Sentinel describes one of Milwaukee's lastest condo proposals, named 100 Seeboth, for the Walker's Point neighborhood. The proposal brings condo design in the city to a whole new and different level, having been designed by New York City's Tod Williams Billie Tsien & Associates (which recently won an award for the American Folk Art Museum in New York).

The site is a prime location at the bend in the Milwaukee River, south of Downtown; the building would act as a visual terminus for S. 1st Street. It would contain eight condo units, plus some offices, a restaurant, plus a RiverWalk/boat docks. The warehouse that currently sits on the site would be demolished to make way for the new building.

As for the architectural design, it is very "different" to say the least.

Have a look through the article for more:
Condos on river entice New York architects - 2002 architectural prizewinner would design $20 million building

The rendering below looks north, showing the front and side facades, prominently located along W. Seeboth and S. 1st Streets.

The model pictured below looks south; the glassy facade overlooks the bend in the river.

This is an extemely poor design for an extrememly great site! The plain blank concrete walls simply make this building look very uninviting and very very urban-unfriendly because it turns its back to the street.

I am curious to see what the City has to say about this design. I doubt they'd go for it without some overhauls, and I can't say I'd blame them.