View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Gracias, senor... Yeah, I just had to get a nude shot in, even if it's an inanimate object! Hahahaha

BTW, a serious question for everyone. Which of those portrait shots do you think is the best? I'm kind of torn between the guitar-playing dude and the woman wearing the white hat. The brother-sister duo was great as well, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how to best take portraits. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Aaron (Glowrock)
Nice work Glowrock. I think this one:

or this one are your best.

The top one captures the authentic emotion of the man. I think the framing is too tight, especially on the left side. A few steps back would give the photo a little more room to breath. You got a nice blur of the background which helps keep the focus on the subject but I think the background is too bright. You could easily darken it in post.

The second one is a nice candid shot. I think the framing is a little tight and a slightly different angle could have improved the composition. For instance, I'm not sure cropping the left side of his hat improves the photo while including a small portion of the harmonica player to the right is distracting. Like the first shot, the background is too bright. There is a lot of white taking the focus away from the subject. It will be harder to drop the brightness of the background in this shot since there is so much white. I think the exposure would have had to have been less in camera and then you could have brightened the guitar player in post.

Portraits are not easy, there is a lot to get right. Generally I think it is important to pay attention to the background and the light.

Anyway, maybe that is more details than you wanted. It's always great to see the people of a city. Nice work.