View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Maybe it's because I grew up in the Midwest, but I never thought of Chicago has having a generally bad reputation. Yes, Trump and Fox News are always talking about Chicago murders, bizarrely trying to link them to Obama, but Midwesterners tend to like Chicago. It seems like half the Big 10 moves there after college, and summer weekends are filled with Midwestern visitors.

Perhaps away from the Midwest, Chicago sometimes has a bit of a bad rap, but I think it can be argued that Chicago is appropriately rated (or arguably overrated) in its immediate backyard. It's the "big city" for a huge share of the nation's population.
I mostly agree here too. Chicago's image has definitely suffered from being Trump's punching bag, even among Midwesterners. Every time there's a random mass shooting a reflexive response among people of a certain political bent is now "but what about Chicago?"

I also think Chicago is a little overrated by Midwesterners, but this feels more a product of the late 90s/early 00s. As a native Detroiter, I don't recall these inferiority complexes about Chicago before Detroit went into its late 90s/00s collapse... But it could just be because Chicago was not a place that my family traveled to when I was a kid. Other than a couple layovers at the airport, I never set foot in Chicago until I was a young professional living in NYC.