View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:25 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
That one is perplexing. The choice of cactus really feels like the artist spent no time in the city or even learning about it. Certainly, art doesn't have to be reflective of it's home, but with a convention center I would imagine there was some guidance to tie the art to place. This shows a plant that can pop up and thrive in the most extreme places. Is that it? It doesn't even look like native cacti.

Look at some of his other similar work (http://christianmoeller.com/) like "Pushing", "Baggage Handlers" or "Hands". it is much more interesting. There really is nothing very interesting with the external design of the convention center addition except for the lone entryway (which is going to funnel everyone through about 10 doors right next to each other ). The artwork actually helps to take away the big-box retail feel to the building, but it could have been much more. This feels very safe. I'm wondering if other ideas/subjects were presented?
I guess we're totally off topic now, but I walked by the front of the convention center this weekend and noticed that the cactus art is literally made out of chain link fencing (think like what schools do with plastic cups in their chain link fences to spell out words or make pictures, except they used something instead of plastic cups at the CC). So basically this big fancy new convention center is wrapped in chain link fencing. It looks incredibly tacky and cheap when viewed from the sidewalk.