View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
My guess is that it will have cement board siding, not vinyl.

It looks okay, and it will be great for the neighbourhood. It's unfortunate that the mainland south area is so stunted by poor infrastructure. It would probably be better for the city to divert suburban development there instead of somewhere 5-10 km farther out. I think a bridge going over the Arm would make a lot of sense (if Halifax were a normal city it would probably have one at South Street and one at Point Pleasant Drive), and it doesn't have to be unattractive. A bridge over the Fleming Park could even be an asset to people living on the Halifax side.
I grew up near Fleming Park and you're right about the infrastructure. Spryfield/Mainland South is a weird area, in that it seems like little to no planning has gone into it ever. I agree that it's weird that HRM doesn't focus development there, although I think that ideally the concept of TOD becomes more entrenched before Spryfield becomes too much more built up. If a pedestrian/public transit only bridge were constructed along with dense TOD areas between Purcell's Cove Road and Herring Cove Road, people would actually choose transit/active transpo because it would legitimately be faster than driving. People in the area also seem to care a lot more about conserving wetlands and other natural areas than keeping highrises out. As it is most new developments in Spryfield are pretty substandard low-mid density suburban crap and the road network is growing less and less focused (HCR is the only real artery through the area and most new roads connect to roads that connect to roads that connect to roads that connect to HCR)