View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
What I don't get though is that there are places near SMU that are labelled as allowing 26 m tall buildings, or 7/8 stories. And then right next to them are single-family, detached houses. I'm not Peggy Cameron, but if I was, I would certainly be a lot more outraged by 8 story buildings surrounded by 8 story buildings than about 8 story buildings surrounded by 4 story buildings and then have single-family homes. And that's what I would personally prefer anyway.
There are just a few of those, it looks like. One facing South Street, so the single-family homes are behind, in a protected neighbourhood.

The other covers the Sobeys site, so it does border on a single-family house, but I mean, I dunno. Fenwick is also right across the street.

And then there are a few along Wellington, but they're isolated spots next to 14-metre precincts.

Also, from what I understand, there are additional rules about transitions, so 26 metres doesn't necessarily mean you can put 26-metres there without some kind of transition space.

It doesn't really concern me; it seems appropriate. I'm more concerned about the heritage impact of upzoning that Victorian corner around Barrington and Inglis. That's a sort of organic little town centre-type intersection that's popped up, and has some real heritage value. A couple of bad developments would obliterate it.