View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 5:41 PM
Honored Member

Here are some links to the Pine Ridge Mall, which opened in 1981.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Ridge_Mall -original.

The current day mall: http://www.pineridgemall.com

The story is they lost good anchors and the same anchors flourished in Idaho Falls so the Grand Teton Mall expanded. The Grand Teton Mall opened in 1984. Both were developed by the same Salt Lake City developer and both were originally GGP properties. Pine Ridge got sold and has continued to lose tenants. If replacements open, they are selling cheaper brand or selling entirely different products. CAL RANCH is primarily stocked with agricultural products, some western wear and in some ways is like an outdoor store. It's not Jackson Hole level western wear.

They can't get the companies they want to locate there. Consequently, there is tremendous leakage to Idaho Falls, Salt Lake City and Boise for shopping. Obviously, Bannock County would like to keep that $ local.

So instead of cleaning up these almost rotting mobile home parks or other houses in Chubbuck, the Mayor decided to put all of Pine Ridge Mall in a TID. The City Council approved the move just two nights ago. There is no separate UR or RDA, the City Council is making the decisions. I'd not want the City Council doing that vs. an agency who only does redevelopment. I think there are conflicts of interest.

While I guess it is true to say the public will benefit from this 20 year TID, the mobile home parks will probably be condemned by then. Not all, just the worst ones. I honestly didn't realize how bad some of the Chubbuck housing was until I drove through certain areas in the summer. The bad areas aren't visible from the Interstates.

It's true that Block Grants can be used for the neighborhoods, but with 14K population, I don't know that Chubbuck receives much.

Obviously, the mayor can select his priorities and if residents don't agree they can vote him out of office. I've never seen an entire mall, which is owned and managed by an outside company, placed in a TIN. When IF uses the $ to help pay for costs to drill through the lava, or old cement from when Monroe occupied the space, as well as help with utility lines, curb and roads I'm confused! Pine Ridge Mall is getting the word out they can do new curbs and gutters too, but their main focus is in attracting businesses they would like to have in that mall. When I hear that and know how TID have been used in every other state I've lived in and the seeming difference of interpretation between Idaho Falls and Chubbuck, I'm really baffled!
As far as I know there are no major repairs to be made at Pine Ridge.

I hope that helps some. I have to stop for now.