View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 10:33 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Very nice work overall.

For the current iteration of the work, I think the objects closer to the viewer tends to be too 'soft' relative to objects farther away. Personally, I would sharpen the closer objects and give them more of a defined outline and detail (but not too much - after all, it's an impressionist work).

The farther objects (buildings, mostly) are generally fine, but I would also add a bit more definition to the outline and details to some of the buildings. Which buildings, and which details? Personally, my thought is that you, the artist, would see some buildings more clearly and sharply than others from this perspective. The same goes for details (for example, some beautiful ornate details up-close will be something of a blur from farther away). Therefore, it's up to you to paint in what you see.

IMO, though impressionism isn't meant to represent every realistic detail, it is still highly representative of real-life images, and is meant to evoke a certain metaphysical emotion that you can actually feel, yet can't reproduce by drawing as realistically as possible. I'm sure you know far more about it than I do, but that's just my thoughts on it.

BTW, your other works look great as well.