View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Indeed, my dad had told stories to me of when protested against the freeway. The freeway would have torn apart the Chinese community back in the day as Chinese-Canadians were concentrated in that area (unlike today).
But as you point out the Chinese-Canadian community by and large moved on anyway. Once they had the chance (ie. racist covenants still restricted Chinese from living in British Properties up to the mid-sixties) they wanted what most Vancouverites wanted, a newer, nicer house with a bigger yard.

And the freeway would not have been taken down as the Alaskan Viaduct is. That removal was hastened by the 2001 earthquake. Unless of course there was a major earthquake here since 1970 that I missed.

And despite the typical Priceian auto-hate in the original link, its clear to see how many downtown streets would have been "liberated" from the tyranny of the evil auto by having traffic flow directly from the freeway into underground parking. Not too mention the benefit to Stanley Park by having so much surface traffic removed from the causeway.