View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 12:01 AM

Will Spanish have strong staying power in the US long after peak immigration?

Some say that Spanish in the US would decline without "replenishment" of new Hispanic immigrants, due to assimilation of the previous waves, just like Italian, German etc. did. Hispanics are no longer the largest main new immigrant group, which is from Asia, and most Hispanics are native-born with the percentage of foreign born Hispanics down from its peak of 40% in the 2000s. Many people say that by 2 or 3 generations of family upbringing stateside, few Hispanics are fluent.

Also, unlike French in Canada, there doesn't appear to be an infrastructure for operating in Spanish on a regional/educational/infrastructure level outside larger immigrant communities, so that for instance, there's the option that non-natively Spanish speaking people can get their kids into classes taught in Spanish the way the public school system can operate in French in Quebec. Correct me if I'm wrong but bilingual education in the US seems to operate more along the lines of easing non-English-proficient students into an English-dominant environment, and not getting already fluent English-speakers learning Spanish.

Others think that the critical mass of Spanish is different in a way that means it has staying power, as it connects the US to a large share of the rest of the Americas. That is a fair point, as geographically the US is connected in a way to Latin America that may allow Spanish more utility than say Italian or German did back in the day.

I'd imagine Spanish will still be the most common language taken in school for a long time to come for most American students, but in terms of fluent, vibrant communities generations into the future, what do you think?